Reporting Excess Refuse

Owners and managers of HMOs have a statutory obligation to provide sufficient bins and to make arrangements for the disposal of refuse (having regard for the service provided by the local authority) so if you see properties like these then you should report them to the Private Sector Housing Department and, if you suspect that the property is occupied by students of Royal Holloway, include the college’s Community Team (e-mail addresses below).

Student HMOs in Egham

When reporting such an incident, try to take a photo to attach and then use or adapt the following template for your e-mail:

Subject: Excess Refuse at Student HMO

I am writing to you about the excess refuse at <address> which I believe is an HMO occupied by students of Royal Holloway.

As you can see from the attached photo, refuse has been left on the ground at the property rather than inside a wheelie bin as required by the RBC Recycling and Waste Policy .

As an HMO, this property is subject to The Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation (England) Regulations 2006 and I believe that the manager of the property is in breach of section 9 of these conditions on the basis that:
a) the manager has failed to provide sufficient bins for the property and
b) the manager has failed to make arrangements for the disposal of the refuse as necessary.

Further, I believe that, as the refuse is not completely contained in a suitable receptacle (such as a wheelie bin), it presents a health hazard as it could attract vermin.

Can you please confirm that you will contact the manager of the property and ensure that the breaches of The Management of House in Multiple Occupation Regulations are remedied straight away?

Kind regards,

<Your name>